The Longfellow Fitness and Nutrition Consultations have proven to be an important benefit to Longfellow members because it establishes a baseline of fitness measurements that assists the Longfellow staff in creating a customized exercise program that helps you achieve your health goals.
The Longfellow Fitness Consultation package costs $90 and includes four 90-minute consultations—one at the beginning of your membership and the remaining three are given every three months. Each Fitness Consultation is an in-depth health screening to ensure every member finds a safe and effective way to exercise and includes the following:
• A cardiovascular assessment to evaluate how efficiently your heart and lungs function during exercise
• Flexibility and strength limitation testing
• Muscular endurance testing
• Evaluation of blood pressure and resting heart rate
• Total body measurements
• Body composition analysis
The above measurements provide a fitness baseline for you that will demonstrate to you the improvement you are making toward better health through your Longfellow fitness program.
We also encourage you to experience the profound benefits of two Longfellow Nutrition Consultations. In nearly all cases, people who have met with one of our highly trained Registered Dietitian (RD) for a Nutrition Consultation have seen a decrease in health risks and an overall improvement in their fitness.
Our members are often surprised to learn that most major health plans in Massachusetts cover nutritional counseling. After you have completed the Fitness Consultation, Longfellow also offers you the opportunity to have a Nutrition Consultation with a Longfellow RD. In most cases the only cost for the nutrition consultation is the standard insurance co-payment.
The Longfellow initial Nutrition Consultation provides the following:
• A simple finger prick test to measure cholesterol and blood glucose levels. This screening tool gives you and the RD valuable information regarding certain health risks. This important data serves as a foundation for specific nutritional recommendations. The screening results also establishes a baseline for comparing this data with a second follow up screening after 3 months of integrating your exercise and nutrition program into your life.
• A complete review of your current eating habits, highly customized educational messages, and an individual plan that support you in achieving your goals.
Our Nutrition Administrator or one of our RD’s will contact you to obtain the basic information needed to evaluate your health insurance benefits. We will then let you know what nutrition benefits your health insurance covers and how you can receive the maximum support for your health through your insurance plan. Many plans will cover “medical nutrition” issues and some will also offer “preventative nutrition services”. When the evaluation of your health insurance benefits is complete you will be contacted by a Longfellow RD to schedule a convenient time for your Nutrition Consultation.
Assuming your insurance plan covers nutrition, we ask you to agree to do the following:
• Allow Longfellow to bill your health insurance for the nutrition consultation.
• Bring cash, check, or credit card for the co-payment at the time of your nutrition appointment.
• If you are on a plan that requires a referral from your primary care physician, please call your doctor’s office for a referral. To make this easier, we will give you our dietitian’s NPI provider number before you make the call.
• Give the RD a minimum of 24 hours notice for to reschedule or cancel the appointment.
• Sign the HIPPA release form. Longfellow professionals follow all HIPPA regulations to protect your privacy.
If your health plan does not cover nutritional counseling, Longfellow will offer you a highly discounted option:
Longfellow is committed to supporting you in living a life of optimal health that includes daily attention to exercise and good nutrition. If you are on a health plan that doesn’t cover nutritional counseling, Longfellow will offer you two nutrition consultations (an initial Nutrition Consultation and a three-month follow-up consultation) for a price of $50.00 when paid in advance. (Longfellow will only offer this reduced fee if your insurance does not include nutrition benefits)
The Longfellow nutrition staff welcomes you to Longfellow and we look forward to working with you!